London | Birmingham | Manchester
Frequently Asked Questions About UK Visa & Immigration

How can I be sure that the visitor visa I apply for will be approved?

By contacting us you will have a better understanding of your eligibility and chances to apply for any type of Visitor Visa.

How do I extend my current visit visa?

If you entered the UK, you will need to make an application to the Home Office in order to change your current status or extend your stay. If you are in the UK and you submit a valid application before your current visa runs out, the conditions of your existing status continue unchanged beyond the normal expiration date. This extension can last until the Home Office makes a decision on your case.

If you need advice about which type of visa is most appropriate for you, we can offer you a FREE consultation.

How do I get a permanent status? Or permanent residency as a European?

You will need to apply to the Home Office if you wish to get indefinite leave to remain in the UK and you still have a visa. Many categories of leave to remain in the UK lead eventually to settlement.

If you are an EEA national or family member of an EEA national you may acquire settlement automatically.

If you need advice about which type of permanent status is most appropriate for you, we can offer you a FREE consultation.

Can I bring my partner, parents or children to the UK?

Many categories of visa under the Immigration Rules permit you to bring certain family members to the UK with you, such as your spouse or civil partner, unmarried or same-sex partner, or children aged under 18 years.

If you were granted a visa under a category of the Immigration Rules, the rules will state if family members can come with you.

If you need advice about which type of visa is most appropriate for you, we can offer you a FREE consultation.

Can I extend my visit visa?

Many factors can decide on this type of extension, such as your current status, affect whether you can switch to another category. This is a complex area and not one to take likely unless you have the backing of a good human rights lawyer. You should take advice before applying to switch to another category, particularly if you are currently in the UK on a visit visa.

If you need advice about which type of visa is most appropriate for you, we can offer you a FREE consultation.

I have been granted temporary admission, can this be extended?

It is possible to appeal this decision given at the airport or even apply to extend your stay. Temporary admission can be for as little as 24 hours so you must act quickly to get matters resolved or risk deportation or even a ban.

If you need advice about this delicate situation, we can offer you a FREE consultation.

I have been refused a visa, what can I do next? What are my chances?

The First-Tier Tribunal hears appeals against immigration decisions of the Secretary of State and Entry Clearance Officers. Only some immigration decisions come with a right of appeal to the Tribunal. In recent years the government has reduced the number of decisions which come with a right of appeal.

If you have been given a notice of decision which carries a right of appeal, you may begin an appeal by sending the notice of decision and completed appeal forms to the Tribunal. This process must be done within strict time limits.

The correct procedure for conducting appeals before the Tribunal is not obvious and you may wish to seek legal advice. Our advisers have years of experience of advocacy before the Tribunal.

When the Home Office or Entry Clearance Officer (at an Embassy or High Commission) makes a decision, which comes with a right of appeal, they should notify the applicant and provide them with the relevant forms. However, this is not always done. If you think you may have a right of appeal against a decision you can contact UK Visa Solution who will advise you if it is possible to lodge proceedings with the Tribunal.

Can I apply for British Citizenship? Can I claim it for my children?

If you are resident in the UK with no limit on your stay (you have indefinite leave to remain, or you are an EEA National with permanent residence or right of abode) and you wish to become a British citizen, the most common route will be to apply for naturalisation.

To apply for naturalisation successfully you must have done all of the following. You must have lived lawfully in the UK for most of the last 5 years (or 3 years if you are married to a British citizen on date of application). You must have been free from restrictions on the period for which you may remain in the UK for at least the last 12 months. You must be of good character, and you must have sufficient knowledge of the English language and knowledge about life in the UK.

Naturalisation is discretionary and some requirements are subjective. Our advisers are expert at conducting naturalisation applications successfully.

Registration is an alternative route to British citizenship and is available in a variety of situations. UK Visa Solution can provide detailed advice on when registration is available.

Can I stay in the UK if my child is European or British like the Zambrano case?

Since the 2004 Free Movement Directive was made, the European Court of Justice (ECJ) has identified situations in which EU law would give someone a right to remain in the UK. In 2012 the EEA regulations were implemented to take account of the new case-law, and the new rights created were referred to as ‘derivative rights of residence’.

Not all of the situations identified by the ECJ have been correctly implemented in the new regulations. UK Visa Solution can give advice on situations which the regulations do not cover.

In 2010 the ECJ decided the Zambrano case. They decided that if a child who is a national of a Member State needs their parent to look after them, then the Member State has to give a right of residence to the parent as well, if the child would otherwise have to leave the European Union.